Posts and Such

Cleaned and showered. Don't worry. :)

Questions, comments, and insults: I'll take them all.

Like what you read, confused about it, or just wanna throw some virtual phlem? Send it all here.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

What makes a good deployment?


A friend of mine about to go into the military asked me the other day of what made a good deployment? Is it the action, or the satisfaction of doing one's service? As I was in the middle of some good Halo multiplayer, (and I'll be damned if anyone comes between me and the Master Chief), I told him I would take some time to really think about it and come back with a real answer.

So after saving Earth the umpteenth time, nine headshots, and some trash talk between coworkers, I decided to make out a list of what actually made a good deployment. I came up with 12 things, but people like lists of 10, no more or less, so I figured two could actually fall under others.... so yeah, lucky me.

Now I will go ahead and list them, while explaining in further detail what I'm talking about:

1. Depends where you go.
And also what you deploy on. A deployment to the Persian Gulf on a ship is different than being on a FOB in Iraq. Trust me, I've done both, and I own both t-shirts. Some people prefer ships, but most prefer doing it on land. Ship board life is very different than most are used to, but the same could be same about FOB life. Your environment plays a part too. Would you rather be rocking back and forth on the water, or using 20 q-tips to get sand out of one ear? Keeping in mind of your environment, it also depends on when you go. Summer in Iraq is exactly what you think it is, except warmer. (No seriously, it gets that warm her. Fine, be like that. I'm telling you, take that number you're thinking of, and add ten degrees. Yes, I know you're thinking in Celsius.) In the winter, it rains and actually snows. So while you may detest the heat, several people hate the muck and mud winter brings.

2. Depends on your job.
This may seem obvious, but I wasn't the one who asked the question! Anyway, for my friend, do you think you would enjoy your deployment if your job, simply put, sucked? Hell no! Unfortunately, most of us don't have that "recruitment tool"-type job, jumping out of planes, reconing enemy positions, sneaking onto beaches when clouds block out the moon and only leave our prints in the sand... Most of us think... Thought we had a cool job. Get pay and benefits and free* health care? And ALL I have to do is drive trucks for the Army? My heart goes out to the special individuals who signed up in the Navy as boatswain mates when the recruiter asked them if they liked to paint, convincing them that they could be "Naval Artists"...

3. It depends on who you work with.
People make the final determination whether a job is "good" or not. If you can't stand the people you have to deal with because you must spend time with them, then what will make you want to get out of your rack every morning? I mean, even if my co-workers were hot, Swedish bikini models that majored in college as full-body masseuses, I still wouldn't be as satisfied as if they were my peers AND I could come into work at 11.

4. It depends on who you work FOR.
I could have done the simple thing and combined 3 and 4, but #4 is extremely important. I'm not listing these in order, the most important first and so-on. It's important and makes a job more enjoyable if your boss, or in this case, NCO is what an NCO is supposed to be. An NCO is not supposed to be my friend or pal, but someone who will lead me in getting the job done, and take care of me if I need help or some other NCO screws with me. It wouldn't hurt if my NCO wasn't a jerk, though.

5. Depends on how long the deployment is.
Simple question: Would you rather leave and come home in six months or a year? OK.

6. Depends on what you bring.
Their are a few items I will consider bringing with me for my next deployment. That said, do not interpret this bullet as me suggesting their is a huge checklist of what to bring. What I'm telling you is = LESS IS MORE. There are a few special people that feel they will never see their families again or a place to purchase items. No SPC Timmy, you don't have to bring 30 tubes of tooth paste. You don't have to bring enough crap to get you through the whole year. There's a place called a PX. I would consider one to bring a laptop, especially if they have access to Internet. If not, a portable DVD player and a deck of cards.

7. Depends on the people back home.
You went the whole deployment without on package or letter? Does your family hate you, or are you an unfortunate orphan? Keeping in touch with home is key to survival on deployment. This is mainly the responsibility of the family back home. Spouses and girl/boy friends need to quickly realize that the significant other can't exactly whisk themselves back home to deal with issues any given day. That also includes births, holidays, and emergencies. It's important to sort out bills and set up plans before the feces hit the fan. Oh and if you plan to break up with your partner, do it when we come home. Please!

8. Depends on work load/schedule.
Dear mom and dad. I haven't slept for three days. Kill me.
For those not lucky enough to be in the Air Force... (Har har).... For those of us on a deployment, we are taught to combat two types of enemies: Complacency and boredom. They taught me about a third one, but I wasn't exactly paying attention. Something about insurgents... Or heat related injuries.... Or stupidity. I don't know, I was busy fighting boredom.
Stress can kill and if one is feeling stressed, (and they have a decent chain of command), they can seek help from a chaplain. Finding stuff to kill time is key to making deployment seem like a bad remake of groundhogs day. Except you're not Bill Murray, this isn't Stripes, and you don't have a butt-load of cash.

9. Depends on what you accomplish.
This kind of deals with #8, but I'll do it separate because I can. Some people like deployments for the extra money to pay off mysterious things called "bills". What I can't figure out are the people in the military paying off student loans that aren't Officers. Whether it's financial or personal goals, they can be achieved. Saving money or loosing pounds and gaining muscle in the gym. Some will use it to help achieve rank, or even finish off school.

10. Depends on what happens.
All jokes aside, deployments are rarely uneventful. Something will happen that can determine the outcome of your deployment. Whether you screw up or someone screws up, or that special someone miraculously didn't screw up... Death of a shipmate/battle buddy can affect a deployment.

11. Depends on your attitude.
11, so sue me. If you go into a deployment hating life and feeling like you've been wrongly accused of some crime, with no bail, and you found out your parents planned this to happen long before you could even walk... Then deployment will either surprise or not disappoint. If you go into deployment hoping to do your best, then you will either have an immense satisfied feeling, or you will disappointed, hate life feeling like you've been wrongly....

No comments:

Post a Comment