Posts and Such

Cleaned and showered. Don't worry. :)

Questions, comments, and insults: I'll take them all.

Like what you read, confused about it, or just wanna throw some virtual phlem? Send it all here.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Helo Inbound

Most people in the service have been part of something significant. Most have a story to tell, whether good or bad. Then there are those that have stories of personal accomplishments and experiences. Lastly, you have those that have stories that tend to be the most entertaining. Unfortunately, the best ones usually do not start or finish with a positive outcome for the storyteller. While not my most infamous deed, I will share a recent happening aboard the USS Bataan.

The last few days have been about researching aid organizations operating in Haiti; where they are, what they are doing exactly for the people, and what supplies they need. This information is passed up to the higher ups for situational awareness and perhaps help designate where to send aid. What it is not meant to be is for me to coordinate with the group and direct supply drops in Haiti.

One organization seemed to interpret my phone call differently. A Catholic relief organization, I spoke with it's head quarters in New York City. After explaining who and where I was, I began asking for information. Their mission was in the decimated city of Jacmel, and their needs were primarily medical related. The city has one damaged hospital, and needed resupply. I asked the woman if she had any more specific information where in Jacmel the mission was. I gave her my email address and she explained she would contact someone in Haiti to forward the info to me.

The next day, while in the middle of trying to contact the UN in NYC, my workspace gets a call. The same organization called, asking for me. Turns out, the mission in Jacmel was standing by for a Navy helo full of the supplies they "requested" and that I "assured them" would come. They supposedly even cleared a landing zone and were waiting since the night before. Thankfully my leadership jumped to clear things up.

I didn't know I, a second class petty officer, wielded such power. I have since then taken charge of the air schedule, and set myself on a mission to the nearest bar. I mean, the smart thing to do would to understand our surroundings and find out whats around us, right? I also took it upon myself to inform the UN that I assumed responsibility to directing all future aid drops. Bataan's water problem will be fixed and Sailor Harry will shower again.

2 comments:

  1. And thus the brave hero ends his story with a shower and a beer. Truly Entertaining

    ReplyDelete