Posts and Such

Cleaned and showered. Don't worry. :)

Questions, comments, and insults: I'll take them all.

Like what you read, confused about it, or just wanna throw some virtual phlem? Send it all here.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Why I respect EOD so damn much....

I've spent quite a bit of time working with EOD, learning what they do, how they do it, and what keeps them coming back for more. Not so much the Hollywood action heroes, fighting the desert heat while racing against time choosing between the red or blue wire, though I'm sure in that situation, they would do just fine. What I discovered was a tight-knit community that enjoys a good laugh, a hard days work, sweet explosions, and an ice cold brew. I went ahead and listed the ten reasons why I think they kick ass and take names.

1. EOD is family.
Every community and rate in the Navy will want to establish themselves that not only distinguishes them from the rest, but something of pride that brings it's members close and together. Most examples do not compare with what I experienced working with them. EOD is a very tight-knit community where pretty much everyone knows everyone.

2. One of the best jobs, period.
The military pays them to literally blow stuff up. Enough said.

3. Each has a story.
Long or short, each tech can have you balling from laughter, or tense and serious. Some of the stuff they do or did is unbelievable, but for them, it's another day's pay.

4. One of the most rewarding jobs in the military.
Not only from the extra pays and benefits, but the other side too. Before I cam here, I sat behind a desk. I won't deny that I was helping keep the fleet and maybe my country safe, but out here, I KNOW I am.

5. Money, money, money.
An extra thousand every month? Sign me up. With all the extra training and the job that they do, the Navy makes sure to pay them appropriately.

6. Respect.
Word. Pretty much everyone in the military has the basic idea of what a tech does. The have an idea and it's enough to respect EOD and what they do. When EOD shows up on scene, they take charge, and everyone listens.

7. Wild and crazy guys.
You kind of need to be to do this sort of work. This sort of goes along with #3, but also the fact that they're a bunch of the coolest folks to hang out with. They enjoy a good party and BBQ and are always up for a beer. Though, be careful; they come up with the most ingenious pranks I've ever heard and are always ready to return the "favor", better/worse.

8. Subject matter experts.
For an EOD tech to earn his Crab, he needs to know his job. No one questions his judgement and no one should.

9. Location, location, location.
EOD gets stationed everywhere. Where there's military or US citizens/assests, there's EOD. My chief told me about a time he worked for Secret Service in Egypt. And I thought my rate got the cool places.

10. Rock stars.
They simply are.

If it seems like I was kissing EOD's bum, know this: They earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment